This is the second last piece of work for the project.
Eevi had made some lovely prints using leaves at the beginning of the month and I thought I would do that as it looked quite relaxing and straightforward.
I found 2 little canvas boards with masking tape round the edges.. and my left over paint from the big painting I was working on. Then I thought I would use some of the leaves and flowers from the midsummer garlands which were hanging up drying. Sounded lovely.
What a horrible mess that was. They were too little. The paint was too thick I think and all that happened was a splodgey mess.
I went out out and picked some bigger leaves and tried again. More splodges. No matter how hard I pressed on the leaves there was only a vague leaf shape to he seen. At one point I thought I had got a result but it was the actual leaves sticking to the paper I was using to press down with.
I more or less gave up then and used a brush to make the splodges look more interesting. Then I used some yellow glaze over 2 leaf shapes and that made the illusion of some texture.
I thought I might call them “contrived splodges in a border”. It’s just as well the project is nearly finished….. .
Eevi’s efforts made me laugh. She was doing her version of painting someone or something appearing to come out of a log. Only in this case it was coming out of the log box.
We are definitely at the end of our resources……
Splodges! I have found that you need to seal your leaves first with either white glue or spray fixative, then you can use a roller (type for linoleum printing) to apply the paint. And the pressure is best accomplished, if you lack a press, by placing a stiff piece of cardboard over the leaf and burnishing it with a spoon. With found objects too much paint is worse than no paint!
Thank you. I may have another try. Has been fun experimenting all month.