2021 in Pisticci….carpentry and restoration….

Probably what I did today was neither of these things…or at best was loosely connected. However I am pleased with the result which is what matters. If my house reflects my personality then ……maybe I won’t go there.

Anyways I was only going to do a lot of washing of blankets and other wintery things this morning.

Then I looked at my little half table and wondered if it would look better dark brown. It was held up at the back by a brown wooden frame.

It suddenly occurred to me that I have wood and I can saw. Maybe I could make supports which looked better .

I should mention that it is a little table which James cut in half and put legs at the back at the bottom but nothing to support the top and gradually the top started to droop at the back….which was when I had the idea to jam in the frame. It worked , but looked a little odd.

I rushed through to the gallery where I keep my wood and by chance I had an off cut just the right length to cut into 2 supports.

After relatively careful measuring I cut 2 pieces the same length. ( unfortunately this was not the case and one was fractionally longer than the other. No problem I thought, I will just cut a little bit off the longer one….oops now it was shorter than the first one.)

I decided it wouldn’t really matter if I put a screw in the the top.

( unfortunately the wood was too hard or I was too puny to get the screw to go all the way through. )

I contemplated glueing the supports in place ,but wasn’t sure that would be enough so I found little thin bits of wood which I tacked on the back to stop them falling out . I used a couple of them to try to adjust the height as well. That didn’t work either so I got the glue and stuck everything together as well as I could and crossed my fingers.

Not being blessed with a lot of patience I waited 10 minutes and then mixed up a nice dark brown colour using odds and ends of acrylic paint which I didn’t think I would ever need.

It was very easy to sit outside and paint in the sunshine. It didn’t take more than 15 minutes. And in the bright sunshine it was dry in another 15 minutes.

I distracted myself while I waited for the paint to dry ,by hanging out lots of washing.

After that I thought it was safe to varnish it. And it must have been as the varnish in the tin is still clear.

I am very pleased with the result. The glue seems to have worked well enough, though I will be careful when moving it. It looks much more sensible and quite elegant.

It’s been a good Sunday. Sunny , peaceful and creative.

Cheers 🍷🍷

The finished table.
Before.
Painting in the street.
This morning…love this time of year.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s